Overview of the Apigee integration portal
Apigee is a platform for developing and managing APIs, and API proxies.
Using the Redocly portal starter repository, you can integrate your Developer portal with the Apigee via a special authorization proxy.
Redocly provides the proxy source code that you can host in your own Apigee account.
Using the Redocly portal, organization owners can:
- Write contextual documentation in Markdown (or MDX).
- Integrate interactive API samples right into the contextual descriptions.
- Generate high-quality API reference pages with a try it console and code samples.
- Style and theme it to match your brand guidelines.
- Control the navbar, footer and sidebar navigation.
With this Apigee integration, portal users can leverage Redocly's portal features and integrate with your Apigee APIs to build a great developer onboarding experience.
- Create a new app to generate an API key.
- Manage API keys.
- Manage apps.
- Use the Try it console to test the APIs.
To see the developer experience, read our sample developer documentation to manage apps and API keys using the developer portal.
How does the Redocly Portal work with an Apigee API?
Why set up a proxy?
The proxy is required because Apigee's API is not designed to be consumed directly from the browser by a developer. The proxy adds logic to verify the developer's identity, and restrict usage of Apigee's backend API as appropriate to a developer. This diagram shows the architecture.
You can also add capabilities such as security-related logging and monitoring and case-specific logic using the API proxy.
For more information, refer to Apigee's documentation on Understanding APIs and API proxies.
Steps to set up the Apigee integration
Before users can start creating apps and managing API keys using the Developer portal, you must:
- Add a Developer portal . To configure the Developer portal, see our Configuration guide. Note : You can use an existing Developer portal for the Apigee integration.
- Connect your identity provider on Redocly Workflows (if your organization hasn't already done so).
- Set up and configure the Apigee proxy .
Enable the developer UI components
in your portal, to show
Appsunder the profile.